Monday, July 28, 2014

Who Says Commercials Are Lying?

Mayonnaise Schnitzel 

The story of this supper is rather roundabout. It started when my wonderful neighbor saw this commercial for mayonnaise. While she knows that the commercial was obviously trying to sell Hellmann's mayonnaise, the chicken in the commercial looked so good she had to try it. So she made her regular schnitzel recipe using mayonnaise instead of eggs. 

Just like in the commercial, the chicken came out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. As she told me about her experiment, my mouth began to water, so for supper last week, I tried it out. 

The Attempt

1/2 lb chicken cutlets 
1 cup light mayonnaise
2 cups cornflake crumbs
1 Tbs taco seasoning + Salt, pepper, garlic powder and caynne pepper to taste

Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place mayonnaise and cornflake crumbs into two different shallow plates. Mix the spices into the cornflake crumbs and adjust  seasoning to desired spiciness. Dip chicken into mayonnaise and using a knife or a spoon, spread in a think layer over the cutlet. Dip cutlet in crumb mixture until fully coated with crumbs (no mayonnaise should be showing.) Place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining cutlets. 

Bake on 375 for half an hour to 45 minutes or until cutlets are no longer pink inside. 

Notes:
  1. I didn't really monitor the cooking time. I just kept on checking until I felt like the cutlets were done. It was somewhere between 30-45 minutes, though, if I estimate correctly. 
  2. I used taco seasoning because that was what I had on hand, but feel free to use any spice mixture that strikes your fancy. 
  3. I feel like panko or regular breadcrumbs or a mixture of the two would work just as well, but I liked the crunchiness of the cornflakes. 

The Verdict

Um, wow. It was hands-down the best breaded cutlet I have tasted. Ever. There was not one cutlet left over for lunch the next day. I loved it. Charming loved it. Basically, a winner all around. 

We had it in a sandwich with the works (lettuce, ketchup, tomatoes, bbq sauce ext) but it would taste equally great by itself with a side of rice, potatoes, or orzo. 

I don't think I'll ever be making another schnitzel recipe again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment