Monday, July 7, 2014

Five Star Fish

Linguini with Tilapia, Green Beans, and Red Pepper

A few weeks ago to get out of the house with the Princess, I decided to take a foray down to the pharmacy. While there, since I really didn't have anything useful to pick up, I got myself a magazine that looked interesting. Family Circle magazine, after wasting precious space prattling on about bathing suits and waterproof/beach-proof makeup finally got to the good stuff: Supper recipes, which as it turns out, they do quite well. Since I got the magazine I've been making one recipe from the magazine a week. Two weeks ago I made this scrumptious recipe using Harissa, pearl couscous, and tilapia. It was super spicy but easy and delicious. Going into the rotation. Last week, as I have already blogged about, I made a variant of their Sausage and Bean Tortilla Soup, albeit with meatballs instead of sausage. This week, I made a recipe for linguine with scallops, broccolini, and red pepper.

As you can see from the title, I didn't quite make their recipe. Firstly, as scallops (like all other seafood) is sadly, not kosher, I swapped it out for Tilapia- which is my go to fish. Mostly because it's generally on sale. And Charming likes it. Secondly, I have no idea what broccolini is, let alone where to find it. Chances are I wouldn't find it in the frozen aisle. Oh, and Charming doesn't like broccoli- so the chances of his liking broccolini were slim. Instead I opted for green beans. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I love green beans. (as a snack... and a side.... and as lunch... in salads.... dipped in caesar dressing... or chumus... need I go on?) Otherwise I left (mostly) everything else the same.

The Attempt

8 oz linguini 
1 lb green beans
1 sweet red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 lb tilapia 
3 Tbs flour
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp corn starch
1/2 cup vegetable broth
3 Tbs chopped parsley (use a little less if using dried)
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Parmesan (optional)

Cook pasta according to package directions, about 9 minutes. Add green beans an red pepper during last two minutes of cooking. (Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water) Drain

Meanwhile, heat 1 tbs each of the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cut Tilapia into smallish cubes (about 2-3 inches). Coat with flour and season each side with salt and pepper. Saute Tilapia in batches until they are done. Put to the side. 

Add rest of oil and butter to the pan, cook garlic for 30 seconds. Mix cornstarch and vegetable broth add to skillet and simmer for 1 minute. 

Put pasta and vegetables into a large bowl. Pour the broth and garlic mixture over the pasta and mix with lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 2-3 Tbs chopped dried or fresh parsley. Add fish and mix some more. 

Serve with parmesan if desired. 

The Verdict

This recipe is five stars. The flavor was very subtle and very good. It was quick, easy, and yummy- the three requirements for a good supper in my book. 

Two adjustments: the next time I make this, I would add more vegetables. There was a lot more pasta than vegetables and it could have done with more. Also, I wouldn't mix in the fish next time, because then what ends up happening is that you get none in one spoonful of the dish, and then in the next one you get 10 pieces. If they are on top you can take as many as you want. 

Without the fish this would be an excellent side dish to any meal, dairy or meat!

TENTH POST!! DO A HAPPY JIG!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment