Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Great Summer Cookie Caper, Part 2

Chai Latte Brownies

I found this recipe for Chai Latte Brownies in the post-Pesach (Passover) issue of Family First. Since then, I've been dying to make them. A. I love brownies. B. I love Chai Tea C. Chai Lattes are even better than Chai Tea. When I was in Israel for the year, I used to stay overnight in the hospital with sick children, so their parents could go home for the evening. Hadassah Ain Kerem hospital has a Aroma Cafe on the first floor and every time I went there I would get myself a chai latte on the way out. My sibs (with the exception of my brother, who is still trying to figure out what is wrong with us) are chai latte enthusiasts as well. So this seemed like the perfect time to try this recipe out. 

The Attempt

1/4 Cup chai tea (see instructions below)
2/3 Cup oil
2 Cups chocolate chips
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cardamom (optional but recommended)

Preheat oven to 325. 
Place 2 chai tea bags in a small bowl (or mug) and pour over them 1/4 cup (or a bit more) boiling water. Let tea bags steep for a few minutes, then squeeze the tea bags to release all of the flavor.
Place tea, oil, and sugar into a medium sized pot over medium heat and let cook until just starting to boil. Remove from flame and quickly stir in chocolate chips until melted, followed by the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously until they are fully incorporated. In another bowl, mix together all remaining ingredients and add gradually to the pot stirring until all is smooth and incorporated. 
Pour batter into a greased 9X13-inch pan and bake for 40 minutes, or less for a softer center. Flavors will intensify once cooled. 

I did the stuff in the pot, and my sister did the dry mixture (because she can't stand by the stove on account of her injured foot.) It went into the oven, but I forgot to mark the time I put it in so it was likely in for a little less than 40 minutes, which is fine with me because I like my brownies on the fudgy side. 

The Verdict

Initially I wasn't sure if making it in a pot over the stove was a patchke that was worth the end result. It actually wasn't that bad. There was no mixer involved and in the end I had to wash the same amount of dishes that I have to wash for my normal brownie recipe. (My mixer and I have a very complicated relationship, and don't even get me started on the Kitchen Aid.) 

So in the end, they are good as brownies, but they don't taste much like chai. For me that means, that I'll probably stick with making my regular recipe, seeing as it's just as good as this one, but without the addition of the pot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment