Monday, July 28, 2014

Better than Gazpacho!

Roasted Tomato Soup

I made this soup to go with the tuna-noodle casserole. The idea of roasting the tomatoes and then pureeing them into a fresh tomato soup struck me as brilliant. I decided to do this with tuna-noodle casserole because they are both light and summery. 

The Attempt

2 lb tomatoes (About 4 baseball sized)
6 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1/4 medium onion
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp vinegar 
1 tbsp italian seasoning (or 1/2 oregano, 1/2 basil)
salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tsp brown sugar
1 3/4-2 cups chicken stock, hot

Preheat oven to 375. Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper. Cut tomatoes into thirds and place in the pan. Add garlic cloves and onion. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Roast for 45 minters. 
Transfer to a large bowl. Add hot chicken stock. Using an immersion blender, puree until soup is smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. 

Notes: 
  1. I was making this recipe to go along with the New Tuna Noodle Casserole so instead of using chicken stock, I used vegetable stock because I needed the recipe to be Parev (Parev is the the absence of dairy and meat. In Jewish Law, one can't eat meat items (like chicken stock) with dairy (like the tuna noodle casserole, which contained cheese) 

The Verdict

I really, really liked it. In fact, I thought it tasted even better cold the next day. 

As it turns out, PC wasn't so crazy about it. He did say it was good, but Charming is a three soup kind of guy. The two soups he likes are chicken soup, vegetable soup, and full-meal soups that contain veggies, carbs and meat all in one. But I loved it, so I'd probably make it again for myself. 

Oh, and it was really easy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment