Thursday, July 3, 2014

Mama Mia!! It's a Meat Pizza!!


Chicken "Facon" Pizza

My name is Esti and I am a pizza-holic. I don't mean I am addicted to eating pizza, though I do like it. What I mean is that I am addicted to making pizza, or to be more exact, using fresh or frozen pizza dough in recipes. With pizza dough I make italian breadsticks, garlic knots, and these awesome meat pockets that we call pizza pockets just to confuse everyone else on the planet. It got me to wondering,  'why can't I use pizza dough to make pizza?"

Good question. Of course I can't make regular cheese pizza because our oven is strictly meat-only and my tiny toaster oven that I use for dairy isn't quite big enough to accommodate a pizza. There is also the minor fact that my dear Prince Charming doesn't consider pizza an adequately filling dinner, so the next logical conclusion was to make a meat pizza. But without the fake cheese, because, well, let's just say I'm not a huge fan of it. (I think it tastes nasty...)

My first attempt at meat pizza involved chopped meat that I browned with some spices (don't ask me which, I don't remember.) I put some pasta sauce on, threw on the meat, added some veggies and voila! meat pizza...

It was ok. But the recipe needed improvement. That's when I found a recipe for chicken bacon pizza in one of my cookbooks that are devoted exclusively to chicken. "I can kosherize that," thought I. So I set  about doing so.

The Attempt

1 ball of frozen pizza dough (about 1 lb)(defrosted)
Jar of salsa (as intense as you desire it)
Approxiately 2 cups of chopped onions and peppers
1/2 lb of grilled chicken shredded
1/2 lb of pastrami shredded

Using your hands spread out the pizza dough into a circle or square, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pour the salsa on the dough and spread using a pastry brush or your fingers, your choice. Sprinkle shredded chicken, pastrami and vegetables on the pizza. 

Bake at 425 for 20 minutes (or until crust is golden-brown/looks done)

The Verdict

I would give it a B-. For some reason the recipe just didn't gel together, both in the literal and figurative sense. Without cheese to hold it together, the toppings just kind of fell off. Also, for some reason the flavors of the salsa, chicken, pastrami, and veggies felt weird together. 

Guess this one isn't a repeat. Back to the drawing board!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment