Monday, July 28, 2014

The Great Summer Cookie Caper, Part 3

S'Mores Bark

I have a thing for s'mores. There is something about oozy, gooey, slightly charred marshmallows sandwiched between melty chocolate and graham crackers that just melts my heart. My siblings and I have spent hours at the kitchen stove roasting marshmallows and making s'mores, much to the horror of my mother. Prince Charming doesn't get it. I've tried, really. I've made him s'mores, but it just doesn't speak to him.  I guess this is something we'll have to agree to disagree on. 

The fact of it is, that summer=s'mores. Every cooking magazine I have (Ok, I only have two now- Family Circle, and Joy of Kosher) had recipes of multiple s'mores variations that set my heart beating with absolute joy and bliss. 

The first one I tried, I made with my brother and sister. 

The Attempt

7 oz bittersweet chocolate
2 cups mini marshmallows
8 graham crackers, chopped into 1-inch squares

In a double broiler ( a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water) melt the chocolate. Once chocolate melts, remove from heat and mix in marshmallows and graham cracker cubes. Pour over parchment paper and spread it out to an even thickness. Top with sea salt
Allow to cool and break into large chunks. 

Notes:
  1. The recipe called for using a baking bar of chocolate, but I just went with chocolate chips and it worked out fine. 
  2. I hate double broilers almost as much as I love s'mores so I just melted the chocolate in the microwave. 
  3. We may have used too many graham crackers because I forgot to tell my sister how many to break up so she kind of just kept going till I told her to stop. 
  4. We used colorful mini marshmallows because that was what we had in the house. They're a little bit sweeter than regular mini marshmallows but that's about it. 
  5. We forgot the salt. And didn't miss it. 

The Verdict

These things are addictive. 'Nough  said. 

Sister: "Esti, please don't make these again."
Me: "Why? They're awesome!"
Sister: "I know! I keep eating them!!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment