Thursday, December 26, 2013


Welcome to A Kitchen Oddyssey! If you are here, you are committed to joining a grand culinary adventure as I bravely cook where I have never cooked before. 

But before we begin, a brief introduction:

Who am I?

My name is Esti. I am a student, artist, cook, baker, sister, daughter, wife, mother (exhale). I wear many hats and by far my favorite is wife and mother. Partially because as a wife and a mother, I get to feed my family.

That's where the adventure comes in.

I've been cooking seriously since high school. However, I was cooking for people who's tastes were similar to my own. It was mostly a no brainer- if I wanted to try a recipe that sounded good to me, chances are my parents and sibs would be on board as well. My parents and siblings, like myself, are all culinary adventurers. I love trying new foods and I haven't yet found a food that I adamantly dislike enough not to eat. Except p'cha. And omelets before 12pm. Don't ask me why.

Then I got married to Prince Charming. He's my knight in shining armor. The love of my life. And a picky eater. I recall one early date where my Prince started mentioning all the foods he doesn't like. My first thought was: "How on earth am I going to cook for him?!?" That should have been the first sign that we were headed to good places.

Because no quest is complete without challenges. And here are mine:


  • NO Vinegar
    • At all. As in, like never. Period.
  • NO Peanut Butter
  • NO Squash
  • NO Sweet Potatoes
  • NO Chicken-on-the-bone
    • This one was wrenching. Before I met Prince Charming, I was convinced that chicken was the love of my life. And no, cutlets just don't cut it. 
  • Every supper should have, if possible, a form of animal protein. 
    • That means Lasagna, Baked Ziti, Falafel and the like are not valid suppers
And on my side:

  • NO Dairy
    • The princess doesn't like diary, therefore, until she figures out a different way to get her daily nutrients, no milk for me. 
  • UPDATE: The Princess is fine with milk, so this restriction is no longer applicable. :) In fact, she just tried yogurt for the first time. GO MOMMY!! 
However, I have a goal. A holy grail if you will. 

I WILL COOK, YUMMY, HEALTHFUL, DELICIOUS, EXITING MEALS. 
Even with all of the above limitations. 

Along the way, I have guides. Like cookbooks, cooking blogs, cooking websites and cooking magazines that inspire me to try new things. The trick is to expand my culinary acumen, while still sticking to the above guidelines. 

We're on a kitchen odyssey. And anything can happen. 

So, are you in?  


No comments:

Post a Comment